[Mplayer-dvb] Explicit specification of video output device

Markus Löhner Markus_Loehner at compuserve.com
Tue Feb 18 15:10:19 CET 2003

Hi,

I hope this list is the correct way to report a mplayer problem.

mplayer 0.90rc4 reports "write: Operation ist not permitted" when the video
device ist explicitly specified.
I use the command line option "-vo mpegpes:/dev/dvb/adapter1/video0" and
the dvb head driver version linux-dvb.2003-02-16. mplayer ist correctly
configured for this driver with the "--with-extraincdir" option.
I have to specify explicitly because I have two dvb cards and the TV ist
connected to the second one.

I had a look on "libvo/vo_mpegpes.c". The function "preinit" tries to open
the specified device with the following statement:
    vo_mpegpes_fd=open(arg ? arg : "grab.mpg",O_WRONLY|O_CREAT,0666);
For arg="/dev/dvb/adapter1/video0" this open fails, obviously because of
the create mode which is correct for regular files.

To make mplayer use the device of my choice I had to change the following
two lines accordingly:
        if((vo_mpegpes_fd = open("/dev/dvb/adapter0/video0",O_RDWR)) < 0){
        if((vo_mpegpes_fd2 =
open("/dev/dvb/adapter0/audio0",O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)) < 0){

May be this will be fixed in the final 0.90.

Regards
Markus