[Mplayer-dvb] bug on DVB subtitling ?

Paul Lacatus paul at campina.iiruc.ro
Wed Oct 30 18:01:58 CET 2002

    After some days of testing I must declare that I am think that there
is a bug in the subtitles inserting on DVB Card. The problem can be seen
even on a system without DVB.

        1. Affected versions :
            Mplayer-0.90 pre 8 (sources and rpm)
            Mplayer-0.90 pre 9 (sources)
            Mplayer-20021030 (sources)
        as far as I tested ;-)

       2. Compiled with:
             gcc-2.96-110 from  RedHat 7.3 (ough!)
             gcc-3.2 from Mandrake 9.0

       3. Mpeg Encoders used:
            libavcodec
            fame ( indeed poor performance against libavcodec )

    In all this cases the problem can be seen even on a non DVB system by

    mplayer -vo mpegpes -vop [lavc][ fame], expand= 720:576:-1:-1:1
[-subpos 82] [-sub {Microdvd style subtitles file}] {avi file}

    after that, replaying the grab.mpg generated file using:

    mplayer grab.mpg

    The problem is shown even in the case of replaying on monitor ( as
in the previous command)  or through DVB card on TV and consist in the
fact that subtitles are not erased from the screen on the moment
specified in the subtitle file and the next lines are written over the
old ones that are just flickering . This makes the subtitles very hard
to read. The problem appears on the TV even on the online transcoding or
in the off-line transcoding using a buffer file.

Paul