[Mplayer-dvb] Mplayer-0.90pre10 and hwac3?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Nov 30 21:22:58 CET 2002

Hi,

> > The dvb-s can't do hardware AC3 passthrought only PCM Output !!! But once
> > the AC3overDVB feature was introduce for VDR someone implemented this into
> > mplayer too. In fact it's AC3 in PCM Frames ecapsulation made in Software
> > and send as PCM Stream to the DVB-S. But there is one thing. The DVB-S
> > cant's set the right DATA or RAW Bit in the PCM Frames, resulting in some
> > receivers don't accept this Stream as AC3 in PCM .. Those Receiver show an
> > incoming AC3 Stream but don't decode it.
>
> Anyway. As more than one people seems to use this thing , and there are really
> forgiving ac3-amplifier it would be better to keep that feature, wouldn't it
> ?

sorry, i don't have ac3-capable amplifier.
and afair there was no changes in hwac3 in last months so i don't think it
was remoevd. maybe teh driver changed?

> 2 further suggestions a littlebit OT to this thread:
>
> - NEWSTRUCT/HEAD is the main interface now, could mplayer adress that ? there
> are severel patches out to correct this, couldn't they be integrated (maybe
> some ifdefs?)

yes it's on my TODO for a while but i don't have time to do it.
feel free to help and send patches (only #ifdef variant will be accepted).

> - mplayer seems to not to be able to find AC3 in DVB-recordings

i've made a patch for this long time ago, the ac3 stream in vdr files is invalid,
so this patch won't go into cvs, as it breaks real ac3 playback (DVD etc)
STFA.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team