[Mplayer-dvb] New drivers + mplayer + IP multicast over DVB

Kovacs Balazs basq at vendegvaro.hu
Thu Nov 21 11:26:54 CET 2002

>   I tried and patched mplayer for Newstruct and for HEAD driver. There
> are some bugs I think because the playing with mplayer and these driver
> not so smooth, but stalling, like I don't have enough CPU power. But it
> couldn't be true, because with the other drivers (0.9.x) mplayer works
> fine.

I got a solution from Holger:

"remove the "dvb_shutdown_timeout=0" module parameter from your Makefile
when insmod'ing the driver or pass a timeout value > 0 to the dvb-core
module.

Then the kdvb-fe thread will exit after a few seconds and won't try to
to catch a transponder anymore."

It works on my Rev 2.2 card (if I insmod the driver this way, mplayer
plays smoothly), but won't work with my Rev 1.3 card.

> Other thing that (I think) I need the HEAD driver because as I know this
> is the only driver which able to get DVB/IP multicast (f.e. with Fazzt,
> getting the EON streams).

I haven't got answers for this, but I tried dvbtune with HEAD and 0.9.x
driver, and with 0.9.x my card won't receive IP multicast, but with HEAD
it looks like OK. So it means for me, that I have to use HEAD+mplayer if
i want to receive IP multicast with my machine.

basq