[Mplayer-dvb] success but bad quality

Joern Raffel joern at raffel.de
Thu Nov 7 09:48:50 CET 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 06:09:44AM +0100, M. Fiegert wrote:
> Joern Raffel wrote:
>
> >try this:
> >
> >mplayer -quiet -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes  -aop list=volnorm -vop
> >lavc,scale=352:288 file.avi
>
> list=volnorm -> no diffenece
> encoding to 352:288, without scale at replay  -> little picture in upper
> left corner of TV but   !!!  no disturbances !!!
> encoding to 352:288, with scale to 720:576 at replay -> jerky
> encoding to 720:576  without scale at replay  -> jerky

Hmm, this works perfectly for me with MPlayer 0.90pre8-3.1 and dvb-0.9.0..

> So problem seems to be bringing full screen video to the card?!!!!
> I can`t use my nova card because I haven`t managed to use it without
> disturbances yet.

Im not sure what kind of card i have, but i think its not a nova.

> Could this be a hint that I have a pci throiughput problem? How can I
> check this?

I had the same problems at replay with 720:576: there have been parts of a
movie  that were not played smoothly, and i could repeat this effect on
the same part. I think its a PCI problem, too, because the load of the
CPU was ok. After downscaling everything works now (and i see no differences
in quality).

:-(

Regards, Joern