[Mplayer-dvb] good news

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Mar 13 01:48:57 CET 2002

Hi,

I've finally found the mpeg encoder we need: libfame.
It's fuckin' good, fast, and does not produce visual artifacts like
libavcodec does sometimes. It is clean C + ASM code, no pthreads,
fifos, muxers and other useless things there.

I'm working on libfame support in mplayer right now for -vo mpegpes.

Just, for what you should expect:

Encoding 4 sec (25fps, so 100 frames) of 720x576 random pictures on p4 1.8ghz:

*** time =    1.502 fps:  66.6 cpu: 37 % ***

It means, for normal movies, even at complex scenes, cpu usage shouldn't be
more than 37% on such (p4 1.8g) system. As the code doesn't have P4 specific
optimization, it should linearly change if you have lower cpu clock.
So, on 900mhz p3 it's still max. ~ 74% cpu + decoding time (~20%).

But don't forget: it's for 720x576, very complex scenes. For real life videos
it will be much faster.

Expect the code in CVS very near soon (today night or tomorrow afternoon) -
I'll ANNOUNCE it including some benchmarks on real videos.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team