[Mplayer-dvb] Hauppage Nova display and record

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Mar 11 20:32:43 CET 2002

Hi,

> I'm thinking about buying a Hauppage Nova DVB card. This a low budget card,
> this means there's no hardware MPEG2 support from the card. So the decoding
> is a software one.
>
> I read that is possible to make the stream from the card flow to MPlayer for
>
> decoding and display. First of all, I would lilke to know if it's true and i
> it works really fine.

if dvbsteram support that card, then yes, it's possible.
i have dvb-s 1.3, it works fine, even with sw decoding.

> The second thing : what I would like to do with this card is to record in
> DivX ;-) format the live stream. Is it possible to make MPlayer act as a kin
> of filter/converter between the live MPEG2-encoded stream from the card and
> the hard drive as a DivX file ? I think it means a powerful computer ( and
it's mencoder, not mplayer

> maybe mine is not enough (Pentium III 500 Mhz), but I would like to know if
> it is possible and usable.
no... your is at the limit/boundary of playback requirement...

i was able to realtime record to 720x288 (vertically scaled down to half -
solves interlacing problem and reduce cpu requirement) using ~60-80% cpu
of p4 1.8ghz... (using XviD at q=5)

libavcodec is faster - but has worse quality.

> In case my hardware is to weak, is it possible to record the live stream on
> my HD and convert it in DivX ;-) format latter ?
yes. it's the better way, as you can do 2-pass encoding then.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team