[Mplayer-dvb] Hauppage Nova display and record

Benoit Jacquemont benoit.jacquemont at smile.fr
Mon Mar 11 17:57:06 CET 2002

Hi everybody,

I'm thinking about buying a Hauppage Nova DVB card. This a low budget card,
this means there's no hardware MPEG2 support from the card. So the decoding
is a software one.

I read that is possible to make the stream from the card flow to MPlayer for
decoding and display. First of all, I would lilke to know if it's true and if
it works really fine.

The second thing : what I would like to do with this card is to record in
DivX ;-) format the live stream. Is it possible to make MPlayer act as a kind
of filter/converter between the live MPEG2-encoded stream from the card and
the hard drive as a DivX file ? I think it means a powerful computer ( and
maybe mine is not enough (Pentium III 500 Mhz), but I would like to know if
it is possible and usable.

In case my hardware is to weak, is it possible to record the live stream on
my HD and convert it in DivX ;-) format latter ?

Please let me know what is possible or not, and if the Nova DVB card is good
choice to begin with DVB...

Thanks in advance, and congratulations to the MPlayer developers ! Please
continue to improve the already best video player for Linux and don't listen
to what all these jealous people tell about your soft !

Benoit