[MPlayer-DOCS] Interested in contributing case studies

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 21:32:06 CET 2007

Hi,

On 1/9/07, Mark Pilgrim <pilgrim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/8/07, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok, attached patch is the patch that will be comitted to MPlayer svn
> > once the eventual wording/grammar problems are fixed.
>
> +  <application>QuickTime</application> 7 supports H.264 video and AAC audio,
> +  but it does not support the AVI container format.  However, you can use
>
> This is not entirely correct (and it's my fault because I originally
> wrote it this way).  QuickTime does support the AVI container format,
> but it does not support H.264 video (nor AAC audio) within the AVI
> container format.  It does support other codecs within an AVI, just
> not modern ones.

[...]

Thanks for the review. I'll fix the issues your noticed, and commit this patch.

> Otherwise looks great.  Thanks for picking this up again.  I can write
> up a similar case study for H.264 encoding for 5G iPods.  I've been
> doing quite a bit of that lately, and I think I've identified the
> minimal set of required options.  Of course, Apple just released the
> 6G iPod today, which may have different capabilities.

Good. An Ipod encoding guide would be a nice addition to the docs.
Don't forget to reuse/complete existing sections as much as possible
to prevent doc duplication as much as possible.

An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing
which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations
down to a town meeting or a vestry.
 -- Thomas Jefferson
(when interviewed about MPlayer ML flamewars)
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff157207.html