[MPlayer-DOCS] incomprehensibility in encoding guide

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 14:08:15 CET 2007

Hi,

On 1/4/07, Andrew Savchenko <Bircoph at list.ru> wrote:
> Hi,

> > > So, maybe manpage should be updated to clarify this?
> >
> > Like this?
>
> Almost, but IMHO it would be nice to mention that "When mbd is set
> to 1 or 2, the specific value of mbcmp is ignored, except to check
> whether it is nonzero." or something similar.

Isn't that overly verbose?
We already have:

.TP
.B mbd=<0\-2>
Macroblock decision algorithm (high quality mode), encode each macro
block in all modes and choose the best.
This is slow but results in better quality and file size.
.
.PD 0
.RSs
.IPs 0
Use comparison function given by mbcmp (default).

and

  .TP
  .B mbcmp=<0\-2000>
Sets the comparison function for the macroblock decision, has only
an effect if mbd=0.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't help getting the point across to add
your suggested sentence somewhere in the docs. It just seems to be
redundant, and I'm not sure which spot in the doc should carry that
paragraph...

> And your patch seems to be slightly redundant, affecting
> non-related dvdsub_id and so on.

Yeah, that's what happens when you don't read the patches you send ;)

An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing
which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations
down to a town meeting or a vestry.
 -- Thomas Jefferson
(when interviewed about MPlayer ML flamewars)
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff157207.html