[MPlayer-DOCS] Suggestions for documentation improvements

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Sep 7 01:41:56 CEST 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 01:52:09PM -0700, Axel Boldt wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 07:47:24AM -0700, Axel Boldt wrote:
> >>
> >> * the README.txt in
> >> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/windows-essential-20060611.zip
> >> is mainly directed at Windows users and should therefore mention where
> >> to put the codecs on a standard Windows installation of mplayer.
>
> >Where do they go anyway?
>
> In the standard installation in the folder C:\Program Files\mplayer\codecs

What is the base for calling this a "standard" location?  It's specific
to an English Windows installation (which most aren't) and probably only
used by some installer that puts MPlayer there.  We don't support such a
thing, though.

The point here is that it's not so simple to teach Windows users where
to put the codecs.  I'm honestly unsure what I should put in the README.

> >> * The man page should explain the difference between "mplayer -loop 0
> >> file.mpg" and "mplayer file.mpg -loop 0", the latter being vastly more
> >> useful.
>
> >To be honest, I forget the difference myself.
>
> The first version restarts mplayer, forgetting settings such as screen
> size, window position and volume between repetitions. The second
> version repeats the file in the same window and keeps all settings.
> If you have several files, then the first version will play all
> of them, and then play them again, while the second version will
> play all of them and then keep playing the last one (unless you
> put the files in parentheses).

Hmmm, yes quite a bit of stuff about option handling is not yet
documented.  I'm making a mental note to do it someday.  Until then
patches are appreciated :)

> >P.S.: Please teach your mailer to break overly long lines.
>
> Other people have tried... I only say Yahoo Mail.

It's much improved, thanks.