[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] converting documentation to UTF-8

Guillaume Poirier gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu
Sat Oct 28 18:24:02 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Oct 28, 2006, at 5:14 , Diego Biurrun wrote:

> So I've finally taken the plunge and converted my system to UTF-8.
> Apart from getting more spam in legible characters now I can look at
> translations and see the right characters when I convert them with
> iconv.
>
> This makes me think that the moment to convert everything to UTF-8 may
> have come.  Others have been lobbying for it before, I'm willing to go
> along now.
>
> Is there anything that speaks against the conversion?  Will it cause
> problems for translators?

As far as I am concerned, I rejected all suggestions (made by some
contributors) to convert .fr translated files to UTF-8.
Why?
- if it ain't broke, don't fix it
- I'm dead sure that every French person is able to edit an ISO
latin-1 file without any trouble, whereas I can't say the same thing
for UTF-8 files.

Anyway, if we can make the world better by converting everything to
UTF-8, so be it. I think users can handle switching to a UTF-8
compliant text editor.

> Any volunteers to do it?

I can take care of the .fr part if needed.