[MPlayer-DOCS] mencoder.xml issues

Guillaume Poirier gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu
Thu Nov 30 10:30:40 CET 2006

Torinthiel wrote:
> The time has came for me to read mencoder.xml ;)
>
> Here's what I want to point out:
>
> The tables at the first section (a/v codecs and container formats) use
> capital and non-capital letters at beginnings liberally. I'd vote for
> starting each entri with non-capital letter, except of course for MPEG,
> Xvid etc. See patch #1

patch ok with me. Unless Diego disagrees, go ahead and commit this patch.

> Section 13.8. Encoding from multiple input image files (JPEG, PNG, TGA,
> SGI): The title of this section is the only place in the whole file
> where I (or grep) find SGI. Either add some text/examples or remove it
> from the title.

I'd say remove it. It's not common enough to deserve to be cited.
replace it by " etc..." or smth similar since MPlayer/MEncoder can
read more image formats than the ones listed AFAIK.

> Examples: Almost all of them have overly long lines. Most of them can be
> broken (see patch #2), sometimes by reordering the options, hopefully
> I've done it right (will double check before commiting). A lot of them
> also have missing <replaceable> tags, added as well.

patch Ok too. Go ahead and commit it right away.

> The i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames -lavf option:
> At first I thought it was 'insert here all options to certify...', not
> a real option name. I even translated it in first try. Only grepping the
> sources convinced me otherwise. Maybe it would be worth noting this in
> documentation. Good thing at least there's a big fat explanation if you
> omit this option.

I just committed a patch to the man page to improve the description of
i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames (the existing doc
was indeed quite succinct). If you think you can come up with smth
better for the xml doc that won't be redundant with the man page,
please speak up :-)