[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] converting documentation to UTF-8

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Nov 1 00:32:41 CET 2006

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 01:13:10PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 29 Октябрь 2006 11:54 Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 03:40:42AM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> > > There are possible several problems with russian translation:
> > > not all systems support utf-8 well, there are troubles with
> > > some text editors and browsers.
> >
> > Same to you: can you be more specific where the problems are?
>
> Well, there are some of them. Editors wich doesn't support utf8 at
> all in my system: mcedit, vim. Links (my favourite browser) can't
> work with it also.

Modern development versions of ELinks (nice fork of Links 0.9x) have
good UTF-8 support except for nonspacing and CJK wide characters,
which have "issues". Dunno if there's any work on fixing the fork
that's still called plain "Links" but it needs to be done..

> There are more sophisticated problems: when mounting vfat cp1251
> (e.g. usb flash device) on host with utf8 locale all non-english
> characters in filenames become completely broken and iocharset,
> and codepage mount options won't help. I don't know why for now,
> maybe something wrong in the kernel.

Are you using the "utf8" mount option? This, along with the codepage
and iocharset options, may be needed. Unfortunately the docs are
really bad and I can't quite figure out for sure which ones you need
but those are the ones to try.

Aside #1: using UTF-8 encoding for the docs does not require
converting your system locale if you have an editor that can edit
UTF-8.

Aside #2: if these things are broken maybe you can help with getting
them fixed so that its easier for people to switch to UTF-8. OTOH I
understand that this is a pain and you might not want to do it.

Rich