[MPlayer-DOCS] rtc vs. softsleep

Sebastian Krämer mplayer at skraemer.de
Wed Mar 15 23:45:45 CET 2006

Hi mplayer-folks!

I noticed that there were suggestions to mplayer users that RTC wasn't that
good at all; that the error message from mplayer about not being able to use
rtc didn't hurt and should be ignored or even that one is better off without
rtc.

Me personally didn't ever have any problem with rtc. I set everything up so
that my non-root user is able to use it, no complain from mplayer.. and no
CPU issues either.

Now I'm asking myself if that rtc vs. softsleep thing is important for the
DOCS. As stated in mplayer's man page, rtc isn't supposed to use more cpu,
the opposite is (?) the case:

> -softsleep
>  Use high-quality software timers instead of the RTC.  As precise as the RTC
>  without requiring special privileges.  Comes at the  price  of higher CPU
>  consumption.

I was wondering about this weeks ago when I translated the man page, having
some mplayer-users mails in mind. Just thought it couldn't hurt to start a
discussion about this. :)

Any opinions?

Sebastian