[MPlayer-DOCS] DOCS/tech/cvs-howto.txt

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sat Jun 24 12:39:18 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 01:54:16PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> Ivo wrote:
>
> >    svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk/ clean
> >    cd clean
> >    patch --dry-run < ../my_changes.patch
> >
> >  If there are no errors, you can apply your patch:
> >
> >    patch < ../my_changes.patch
>
> These should, I believe, be equivalent to 'patch -p0' - but is there any
> reason not to give that option explicitly? I certainly invoke it that
> way whenever applying full-path patches, and it seems like vaguely good
> practice in that it provides parallelism between the stripping levels in
> terms of saying what is being done.

I'd add the -p0 there, if only to make newbies aware of that patch
option..

> >7. Commit the patch:
> >
> >  If your patch is accepted, double check if your source tree contains the
> >  most recent version of your patch with svn diff! After verifying that you
> >  met these conditions, commit with:
>
> This doesn't flow well to me (and I'm not quite sure it's what Diego
> meant anyway - in my experience, the danger for which it is recommended
> to check with svn diff is that someone else might have committed a
> change to the same files, either since you last updated (if you keep a
> pristine copy which you use for all commits) or in the brief period
> since you made the checkout (if this is a new tree), and that you might
> inadvertently overwrite their changes; I invariably make a paranoid
> last-second check of this nature after having written the commit
> message, seconds at most before the final commit).

'svn diff' is there to doublecheck.  I've caught my own mistakes many
many times this way.  It always happens that you have some leftover hunk
that doesn't belong in the commit or some cosmetics or whatever in your
local tree and are inadvertently about to commit it...

Ivo, I'd say commit your stuff, we can make further changes later on.