[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en encoding-guide.xml, 1.18, 1.19

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 09:12:56 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 9/7/05, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at tiscali.it> wrote:
> Guillaume Poirier CVS wrote:
>
> >+
> >+<para>
> >+  Without <option>harddup</option>, if <application>MEncoder</application>
> >+  wants to duplicate a frame, it relies on the muxer to put a mark on the
> >+  container so that the last frame will be displayed again to maintain
> >+  sync while writing no actual frame.
> >

> I don't want to sound over-picky, but IMHO the above sentence isn't
> precise:
> if I understand correctly, in cases like above mencoder needs to advance
> the timer (pts) of  the next frame to be displayed.
> The implementation of this method in the AVI muxer is the insertion of
> the null frame.

The sentence was not precise on purpose. I'm quite confident that "Joe
six-pack" doesn't need to be told how it's implemented, but need to
get a rough explanation of the difference with and without the harddup
filter.
Now, maybe I'm wrong, but I won't mind discussing that matter.

Reading doesn't hurt, really!
  -- Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski