[MPlayer-DOCS] Re: documenting environment variables

Tobias Diedrich ranma at tdiedrich.de
Wed Nov 30 17:04:48 CET 2005

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 09:10:38PM +0100, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> > Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > >
> > > .IP AUDIOSERVER
> >
> > Specifies the Network Audio System server to which ao_nas should
> > connect.  If unset DISPLAY is used instead.
> > Examples:
> > AUDIOSERVER=somehost:0
> > Connect to NAS server on somehost using default port and transport.
> > AUDIOSERVER=tcp/somehost:8000
> > Connect to NAS server on somehost listening on tcp port 8000.
>
> So what other options do we have?  udp as well?  This sounds a bit
> incomplete...

*reading the source*
Basically just tcp and unix domain sockets (I'll ignore decnet :-)).

tcp syntax should be:

tcp/somehost:someport
or
somehost:someport

unix domain socket syntax:

unix:instancenumber
or just
:instancenumber

Seems a bit inconsistent, I'd have expected unix/:0 or something
like that (which happens to be what X11 is using and NAS is kind of
based on the X protocol after all).

So:

Syntax:
Same as DISPLAY, but unix:0 instead of unix/:0

Examples:
AUDIOSERVER=(unix)?:0
Connect to NAS server instance 0 on localhost using unix domain sockets.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.uguu.de