[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en mencoder.xml,1.64,1.65

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sun May 15 22:10:00 CEST 2005

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 5/15/05, Joshua Varner <jlvarner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/15/05, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Before doing another unnecessary wrong correction, here's the
>>> full sentence that I'll commit tonight. Please tell me if it's
>>> all right now: The MPEG-2 standard used on DVD and digital TV
>>> provides a way to both encode the original progressive frames and
>>> store in the header of each frame the number of fields for which
>>> it should be shown.

This looks good to me.

>> You probably want: and store the number of fields in the header of
>> each frame for which it should be shown.

This does not. I believe the reason has something to do with pronoun
antecedents (the "it"), but more specifics aren't springing out
immediately, and I don't have a lot of time right now before I need to
leave for work.

Either that or the problem has something to do with the degree of
separation between the verb "store" and its object "frame header". I can
think of a half-dozen or so other ways to phrase all of this in a valid
way off the top of my head, but all of them are sufficiently formal and
unwieldy that the only places they'd probably be appropriate are
dictionaries and legal documents. (Although I usually manage to suppress
the tendency in practice, I have in the past occasionally found myself
*thinking* in legalese...)

> Seems good to me... the problem is that I'm not even sure of my
> competence to comment on such proposition, as my English is not so
> good, and that all those changes on Rich's original text might
> pervert the original meaning.
>
> Rich, what do you think?

I don't think any of these changes significantly alter the intended
meaning, but I'm usually willing to admit to the possibility of being
wrong. If Rich says there's something incorrect about the new form, I've
got no problem with trying to come up with something better.

side of it.