[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en faq.xml,1.65,1.66

Guillaume POIRIER guillaume.poirier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr
Wed Mar 23 09:36:44 CET 2005

Diego Biurrun a écrit :
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:32:23PM +0100, Torinthiel wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:32:51PM +0100, Guillaume Poirier CVS wrote:
>>
>>>+Newer Mplayer versions can't work with an old codecs.conf file because the
>>
>>MPlayer. And I'd rework that sentence. MPlayer can work with old
>>codecs.conf. Only it's not guaranteed to work properly.
>>And it kind of suggests that if you have codecs.conf without new Vorbis
>>FourCC than MPlayer won't launch at all.
>>Will fix when I have time.
>

> Sorry for not speaking up earlier, but all of this is kind of redundant,
> there is already the following FAQ:
>
> Q: I cannot pinpoint the cause of some strange playback problem.
> A: Do you have a stray codecs.conf file in ~/.mplayer/, /etc/,
> /usr/local/etc/ or a similar location? Remove it, outdated codecs.conf
> files can cause obscure problems. MPlayer will use its built-in one
> instead.

I didn't see this one... I guess I should RTF FAQ sometime to save all
of us some time.

> The problem is that it is not very prominent.  Guillaume, I suggest you
> remove your FAQ and move this one up to the top of the playback section
> instead.  Or do you think the FAQ entry should be more detailed or
> clearer in saying that codecs.conf files are EVIL unless you are a
> developer.

Yes, I'd say the FAQ entry you're pointing out should indeed say that
you really should hunt down codecs.conf.
I'd like to add: run a "find /etc -name "codecs.conf" " to see if you
have that file lying around.

I'd also like MPlayer to display on the console "reading codecs.conf
from /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf. if you experience some playbacks
problems, maybe you should delete it" when it runs into such a file.
That's only a suggestion, but I do think it would be a nice thing to add
provided that I heard of some users on some forums that still use old
MPlayer versions because of playback issues. They might come from there.

What do you think?

Regards,