[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en faq.xml,1.82,1.83

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Jul 6 01:48:51 CEST 2005

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> First off: Good addition to the FAQ.
>
> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 06:19:18PM +0200, Guillaume Poirier CVS
> wrote:
>
>> +Since 1.0pre7, DivX encoded by <application>MPlayer</application>
>
> MEncoder (+ some Cola for you ;)
>
>> +cannot be watched on third party players because it sets 'FMP4' as a
>> +FourCC.
>
> Hmm, this is not really a question but an affirmative sentence.  I'd
> say keep the Q+A style of the FAQ and rephrase this to be a real
> question.  Something along the lines of
>
>   Ever since 1.0pre7 third party programs fail to play MPEG-4 movies
>   encoded by MEncoder.
>
> OK, it's not a question, but you get my drift.

The simplest way to make it a question would be with "why" - say,
something like "Why do third-party programs fail to play MPEG-4 movies
encoded by MEncoder versions later than 1.0pre7?" - except I wouldn't
really like that as it stands becaues it limits the question to
programs, i.e. software players, when hardware players apparently make
up a not insignificant fraction of the reported problems.

> Another thing: I think we should try to avoid saying DivX when we
> really mean MPEG-4.

Seconded; I've had some degrees of confusion, trying to review bits of
the documentation, because of not being sure which of the two is
actually *meant* in some cases. It would be much easier to be able to
safely assume that "DivX" means specifically "DivX".

side of it.