[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en encoding-guide.xml,1.5,1.6

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 17:21:17 CEST 2005

Hi Wanderer

On 8/12/05, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
> Guillaume Poirier CVS wrote:
>
> > +<para>
> > +  The complexity (and thus the number of bits) required to compress the
> > +  frames of a movie can vary greatly from one scene to another.
>
> Suggest "The complexity of the frames of a movie, and thus the number of
> bits required to compress them, can" et cetera.

Okay with me.

> > +  Modern video encoders can adjust to these needs as they go and vary
> > +  the bitrate.
> > +  However, in simple modes such CBR, they cannot exceed the requested
> > +  average bitrate for long stretches of time, because they do not know
> > +  the bitrate needs of future scenes.
>
> Missing word: "such as".
>
> I'm not positive it's incorrect, but I don't like the way the third
> comma makes the sentence flow; it *feels* wrong to me, even if it may be
> perfectly acceptable in formal terms. The only fix which comes to mind
> would be to simply drop that comma, and I'm reluctant to do that because
> I think I'd have objected to *that* form if it had been the one which
> came through.

That's what Rich wrote. I'm not very good at English typography
myself. Original version doesn't hurt my eyes so badly that I need to
close them not to faint, but I trust you on this. Go ahead and change
it your way! :)

> > +  Wiser modes, such as multipass encode can take into account the
> > +  statistics from previous passes, which fixes the problem mentioned
> > +  above.
>
> Add a comma after "encode", and replace "passes, which" with "passes;
> this".
>
> I also don't like the usage "Wiser modes" here, but I'm not sure what to
> do to fix the problem; the most obvious parallel to "simple modes",
> above, would be "More complex modes", but I'm not sure how well that
> works.

Right. Okay with me. I was also thinking of "more advanced modes" as
two pass is not really more complex but makes more intelligent
decisions. See what I mean?

> I haven't committed the changes I'm certain of because I'd prefer to
> handle the parts I'm uncertain of at the same time; any thoughts on what
> to do with them?

Yeah, go ahead and commit :)

A legend is an old man with a cane known for
what he used to do. I'm still doing it.
  -- Miles Davis