[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.914,1.915

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sat Apr 16 13:20:06 CEST 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 02:39:00PM +0100, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> Diego Biurrun a écrit :
> >On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 02:48:33PM +0100, Jonas Jermann wrote:
> >
> >>I might have some time after that but it seems that the mplayer
> >>documentation already maintained perfectly by you. :)
> >
> >Thanks, but it still needs quite a bit of work.  While the man page is
> >reaching completeness, it's still mostly too terse and needs some polishing
> >touches.
>
> Could you elaborate a bit maybe? What kind of improvements would you
> like to be done? Longer/better descriptions of options? More examples in
> the same sections as options descriptions?

Longer and better descriptions, yes.  Many things are very terse and
thus hard to understand, especially the lavc section.  The DivX section
is incomplete, but updating it is probably not worth it.  Maybe we
should drop DivX support altogether.

Another point on the TODO is improving the MEncoder guide.  You have
already started this by starting to merge Rich's guide.  Another thing
that should be merged is DOCS/tech/encoding-tips.txt.  The parts that
are still correct and useful should go to the XML, the rest to
/dev/null.

> >And the XML documentation is really in for a big overhaul or a
> >rewrite from the ground up.
>
> Wow... is it _that_ bad? I saw some really outdated informations, for
> example, in the "codecs" file (the description of XviD for example, is,
> I think, almost plain wrong).

Yes, several parts are outdated and/or incomplete.  I also think the
structure is not the best, things could be presented differently in a
more logical fashion.

> I was wondering if I should update the XML doc when I see that some
> informations are missing or wrong, without waiting for some comments on
> the ML, while paying attention to feedbacks/comments I may receive about
> this or that commit to further improve my commits?

Use your own judgement.  If you are unsure, post on the mailing list
first, if you are confident, commit.

> In brief, could you tell me what you trust me for as I'm not a native
> English speaker/writer?

Almost everything.  If you are unsure you can send patches to the ml
first, so far you are getting plenty of reviews, which is a good sign.
Otherwise we will review after the commit, which also worked fine so
far.