[MPlayer-DOCS] Proposal: split manpages

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Fri Oct 22 19:24:16 CEST 2004

On Friday, 22 October 2004 at 14:23, Carl F?rstenberg wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 05:55:53 -0400, D Richard Felker III
> <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> > > What about split mplayer.1 into separate files in common format (i.e.
> > > XML) by sections (header.xml; ...; codecsopt.xml, etc.). Then you can
> > > have one original in cvs and in main files (mplayer.xml; mencoder.xml)
> > > will be include commands only.
> > >
> > > Well it's idea only :-)
> >
> > imo the amount of infor that's _not_ duplicate between mplayer and
> > mencoder is relatively very small. as such, i don't see a good
> > justification for splitting the man page..
> >
> > btw man files are not .xml... :)
[aieee! cut the sigs, please!]

> first we have row 4762 to 7133 that is mencoder only, then it's a lot
> of sections marked mplayer only. also it's many places thats marked
> only suitable in mplayer/mencoder.
>
> I just proposed to split out everything that was mencoder only to a own
> manpage.

We've been discussing it with Rich in another thread (last month?)
and on IRC. There was an idea to split some common parts like
codecs, filters and audio filters into separate manpages. Rich, are
you still in favour of that?

R.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://greysector.rangers.eu.org/mplayer/