[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.773,1.774

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Oct 15 18:20:10 CEST 2004

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> The Wanderer writes:
>
>>Diego Biurrun CVS wrote:

>>>  .B fast\ \ \
>>> -switch on faster encoding on subsequent VBR presets modes, slightly lower
>>> -quality and higher bitrates.
>>> +Switch on faster encoding on subsequent VBR presets modes, results in
>>> +slightly lower quality and higher bitrates.
>>
>> Feels like a run-on sentence. I'd suggest breaking it after "modes"
>> and using "This results".
>
> Done.  What's a run-on sentence?

The inverse of a fragmentary sentence. More informatively, it's what
happens when you have two independent clauses in the same sentence (and
I'm so rusty on my grammatical terminology, I had to look that up...);
in effect, if the two halves of the sentence could each stand alone,
then it's a run-on sentence.

In this case, the pre-change form was not a run-on sentence, because
there was a single verb ("switch on") applied to all three nouns; after
the change, there were two verbs "switch on" and "result"). I think
that's it, anyway - despite how I may sometimes come across here, I'm
really not a formal grammar maven.

>>>  .B idrint=<value>
>>> -Each <value> I-Frames are IDR-Frames (default: 2).
>>> +One in each <value> I-Frames are IDR-Frames (default: 2).
>>
>> While accurate, I think this is imprecise; I would have phrased it
>> as something closer to "Each <value>th I frame is an IDR frame",
>> although the "th" suffix isn't ideal because it's not valid for all
>> values.
>>
>> As it stands, it does not seem to say which one of the <value>
>> frames will be an IDR frame; the alternate phrasing, and I think
>> the intent of the original phrasing, says that it will be the final
>> frame.
>
> This one is a tough call.  Loren's suggestion (the change is from him
> IIRC) is better than the original but you have a point.  I have
> settled for
>
> Make each <value> I-Frame an IDR-Frame (default: 2).
>
> Does that satisfy you?

Except for the capitalization, yes - if only because it's inconsistent
with the rest of the documentation. Specifically, "frame" should I think
not be capitalized.

(For that matter, a cursory check of the man page seems to confirm that
other instances do not hyphenate the construction "I frame"; do you
specifically want to do that here?)

side of it.