[MPlayer-DOCS] manpage and HTML docs - FFmpeg MPEG-4 vs. DivX

Jakub Misak jmisak at atlas.cz
Sat Nov 20 22:55:58 CET 2004

On Saturday 20 of November 2004 22:37, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 November 2004 at 21:25, Jakub Misak wrote:
> > The only solution is to remove the "DivX" from this line (at least
> > from this line in the manpage, that's all I ask for) completely.
>
> I agree. And if we're mentioning DivX (as in: "DivX compatible"), we
> should mention that it is "XviD compatible" as well. Best remove it.
>
> R.

Exactly. And also 3ivx compatible, Apple MPEG-4 compatible etc... I know
that the "DivX" in the libavcodec descriptions is meant like "DivX
compatible", but unfortunately regular users won't get it, because it
simply says "DivX". And it only supports the widespread myth that the
only MPEG-4 codec is either DivX, or DivX and XviD (and that libavodec
MPEG-4 is either DivX or it doesn't exist).

BTW, since I noticed that the docs team here pays great attention to
detail, I'd like to mention that the corect spelling is "MPEG-4", not
the "MPEG4" that's ubiquitous in the docs. The same with MPEG-1 and
MPEG-2. Perhaps some global search'n'replace in the files could be
posible... :-)