[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] Binary packaging guidelines, second draft

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Nov 19 20:16:30 CET 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 04:20:25AM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This is the second draft, with most of your suggestions included.
>
> Outstanding issues (correct me if I omitted anything):
>
> * whether or not to require the following features:
> - DGA

do not require.

> - FAAD (internal or shared?)

require one or the other but don't specify which.

> - GUI

do not require. require it to be a separate package, if included at
all, imo. :)

> - XAnim codec support

i don't care.

> * audio/video output
>   - fbdev
>   - JPEG/PNG/TGA
>   - (X)MGA
>   - OSS
>   - SDL

SDL should not be required or recommended. it's just a poor wrapper to
other vo's already supported, and has lots of bugs.

>   - tdfxfb
>   - (c/x)vidix
>   - X11/Xvideo/DGA
>
> * codecs
>   - FAAD(internal)
>   - libavcodec(internal)
>   - native codecs (libmpeg2/liba52/mp3lib)
>   - Ogg Vorbis support
>   - RealPlayer codecs support
>   - Win32/VfW/DShow/QT codecs support
>   - XAnim codecs support
>
> * general:
>   - default font
>   - default skin (Blue)
>   - FreeType fonts support
>   - GUI
>   - HTML documentation
>   - large file support
>   - man page(s)
>
> * input/demuxers:
>   - DVD(mpdvdkit2)
>   - streaming
>   - Matroska(internal)
>   - (S)VCD
>   - tv(v4l/v4l2)
>
> Including other features, like LIVE.COM streaming or JACK support, is
> acceptable. They SHOULD, however, be build-time configurable, with default
> build configuration containing the above set.

huh, build-time?! we're talking binary packages...

rich