[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] Binary packaging guidelines

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Nov 17 09:44:00 CET 2004

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski writes:

> This is a more or less complete draft of my new Binary Packaging
> Guidelines document which, as A'rpi was kind enough to remind me,
> I promised to write a long time ago.
>
> Please read and comment.

Nice, here goes the first round of comments, include at your leisure.

> With the release of MPlayer 0.90pre9 all licensing issues have been
> eliminated and all code is licensed under the GPL.

This is not exactly true, some code is not GPL, see the Copyright
file.  It's all GPL-compatible, though, and thus MPlayer as a whole is
GPL.

> Unfortunately, many of now available packages are crippled

"many of the now"

>   - OSS

nit: Please avoid trailing whitespace.

>   - (c/x)vidix
>   - X11/Xvideo/DGA

Methinks that DGA is obsolete, so no need to require it.

>   - FAAD(internal)
>   - libavcodec

I'd leave using internal or external FAAD open.  What about
libavcodec?  What are the drawbacks of not building it statically?

>   - XAnim codecs support

That's not a mandatory feature, all of the codecs provided by XAnim
libraries are available elsewhere.

>   - GUI

Is that really mandatory?  I would leave it open.

> , with default build configuration containing the above set.

"with the default"

> For RedHat and Fedora RPMs I am using FHS-compliant paths:

Red Hat, same below

> /usr/share/man/man1/            manpage
> /usr/share/man/XX/man1/         translated manpage

man page, same below

> NOTE: You MUST either make sure that /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf is always
> in the latest available version or not provide that file at all.

I suggest not providing it at all.  codecs.conf is strictly a
developer thing.

> mplayer-codec-* contain binary codecs available from MPlayer's site

the MPlayer site

> mplayer-font-*  contain various bitmap fonts for OSD (obsolete)

for the OSD

> mplayer-vidix   contains vidix support library for MPlayer
> mplayer-vidix-* contain vidix drivers for specific cards, one per package

VIDIX

> Alternatively, one could include configs and docs in one package with
> mplayer-gui and name it "mplayer" and provide additional package named

provide an additional

> mplayer-nogui with the commandline version or the other way around.

command line

> This means it MUST be configured with --enable-runtime-cpudetection
> option.

configured with the --enable-runtime-cpudetection

> when building with "--target arch" rpm option.

with the "--target arch"

> but keeping the rest of ./configure options the same.

rest of the ./configure

> Similar trick can be used for "man gmplayer".

A similar trick