[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.648,1.649

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Aug 13 17:52:09 CEST 2004

I should have done this a little earlier, and saved an unnecessary CVS
commit...

Diego Biurrun CVS wrote:

> -switch to fixed quantizer mode and specify the quantizer to be used
> +Switch to fixed quantizer mode and specify the quantizer to be used.

Possibly "fixed-quantizer"; this is perhaps arguable.

> -This option does not deinterlace video, it encodes it field-based
> -(default: off).
> +This option does not deinterlace video, it encodes it field-based.

It could just be a quirk of technical terminology with which I am
unfamiliar, but the latter part of this sentence does not feel
grammatical. I think that what is meant is something along the lines of
"according to a field-based scheme" or "in a field-based manner", but
I'm not sure.

In any case, you want to use "but rather encodes it", to avoid repeating
"it" with different intended antecedents.

> -use 4 motion vectors per macro-block, might give better compression at the
> -cost of a slower encoding (default: off).
> +Use 4 motion vectors per macro-block, might give better compression at the
> +cost of a slower encoding.

As I understand it, that's "macroblock". I'm also not happy with the
phrasing of the rest, in terms of the pauses; I'd suggest either
"macroblock, which might give" or "macroblock; this might give", and
"but results in a slower encoding process" or similar.

>  maximum interval between key frames (default: 10*fps)

As I understand it, that's "keyframes".

> -create a bitstream that can be decoded delay-free (default: off)
> +Create a bitstream that can be decoded delay-free.

"that" > "which", say my instincts. This also is not cleanly phrased
otherwise, but I'm not sure how to fix it without sounding awkward.

>  .br
>  .I WARNING:
> -this will generate an illegal bitstream, and WILL NOT be
> -decodeable by ISO-MPEG4 decoders except DivX/libavcodec/XviD
> +This will generate an illegal bitstream, and WILL NOT be
> +decodeable by ISO-MPEG4 decoders except DivX/libavcodec/XviD.

"decodable" (the same occurs a little ways above, WRT MPEG vs. H.264
quantizers on a per-frame basis)

> -Enable Global Motion Compensation, which makes XviD generate Sprite
> -Frames which best describe Pan/Zoom/Rotating images.
> +Enable Global Motion Compensation, which makes XviD generate special
> +frames (GMC-frames) which best describe Pan/Zoom/Rotating images.
>  The decision whether to activate this option or not to save bits
>  depends highly on the video material.

This still feels fairly awkward, but I don't have suggestions to fix it
offhand. (It probably doesn't help that I leave for a job interview in
an hour.)

> -enable encoding reduced resolution frames (default: off)
> +Enable encoding reduced resolution frames.

"reduced-resolution"

> +.br
> +.I WARNING:
> +The bitstream created is outside any MPEG-4 profile!
> +This means it most likely won't be decoded by anything else than XviD.

Suggest "decodable" instead of "decoded". Also, at minimum, you want
"other than" instead of "else than"; there is a whole argument about
valid usages there, but it isn't worth getting into that now.

There are many other small "rubs me the wrong way" grammar things which
I snipped, primarily in lines not changed by this patch; it might be a
good idea to give the whole thing a grammatical once-over, but I'm not
sure I could provide better suggestions in all (or even necessarily
most) cases, and it might approach the level of unnecessary fiddling.

side of it.