[MPlayer-dev-eng] Delay at start of video playback

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 2 00:08:38 EEST 2024

On 2024-09-01 at 16:53, Erik Auerswald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Sep 01, 2024 at 04:23:21PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> With my just-built copy of MPlayer with current FFmpeg, when I play a
>> file that has a video stream (all the ones I've tried so far, at least),
>> it hangs for an extended period - with heavy CPU utilization - before it
>> brings up the video window. So far as I've measured, the total delay
>> appears to be on the order of 20 seconds. Once the video window appears,
>> things seem to work normally; CPU utilization goes down, playback is
>> normal, and I can seek around in the file without apparent issues.
>
> This reminds me of of another email
> to this list with subject "Long startup times"
> <https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2024-August/074187.html>
> followed by a patch that removes -ffast-math from the compiler flags
> <https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2024-August/074188.html>.
> The latter email also points to a bug tracker entry at
> <https://trac.mplayerhq.hu/ticket/2425>.

...ha. I'd actually looked at that mail while trying to find anything
that might be a fix for the dovi-related linker errors, but skimmed over
it, and when I later saw this symptom I failed to realize that it was
the one described there.

I've rebuilt with that patch in place, and things seem to be back to
normal.

> HTH,
> Erik

It does indeed, and thank you very much for the pointer.

--
   The Wanderer