[MPlayer-dev-eng] Relicensing MPlayer or parts of it to LGPL

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Dec 30 00:14:13 CET 2015

Alex Beregszaszi <alex <at> rtfs.hu> writes:

> > No, it is just impossible for MPlayer (and all
> > projects that are "based" on it).
>
> Carl Eugen, could you put a pointer to the past
> conversation (a link on gmane would suffice)
> which explains this in depth? I was around
> mplayer-g2 times, but can't remember who was
> against relicensing.

I wasn't around at that time, so I don't know
anything about it.

My point is that it would be necessary to ask
every single developer who has code in current
MPlayer if he agrees to the relicensing.
Doing this for a single (one) file in FFmpeg
showed that it is not possible to get in
contact with all developers. For that file it
was trivial to list all the authors, I
believe this won't be so easy for MPlayer.

My fear is that in the end it will be claimed
that all authors agreed (this is what nearly
happened in FFmpeg).

Carl Eugen