[MPlayer-dev-eng] installing on eeepc 701

Stephen Sheldon sfsheldo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 21:44:53 CET 2014

I installed XFCE4 Live F21 on my eeepc 701 on a 8gb SDHC card in the the
internal reader using RC1.  So I had sda the internal SDD drive, sdb the
USB key onto which I had copied the iso image via DD, and sdc the SDHC
card. I plugged my monitor into the eeepc 701 because I know that
complaints about resolution would not be received well. The install
succeeded, although the  Anaconda progress bar got stuck on formatting
sdc1.  I followed the install by switching to vt2 and watching until it
completed.

I removed the USB key and attempted to boot the newly installed system.
The boot of the new install failed, with a complaint it could not find
the root file system.  I rebooted with the USB key, and examined the
grub.cfg.  The kernel command line had root=/dev/sdc1 rather than
root=/dev/sdb1.  The /etc/fstab has a UUID for the root file system,
and /dev/sdc2 for the swap partition.  I fixed things up and
successfully booted the newly installed system.

It seems things get confused when booting from a USB key when there are
2 internal drives.

I was impressed that the installed system was just above 2GB.  I would
consider installing it to the internal 4GB SDD drive, where I currently
have a Xubuntu LTS system.