[MPlayer-dev-eng] Serious memory exhaustion when playing H264 by ffh264vda decoder

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Nov 17 22:42:48 CET 2013

On 17.11.2013, at 14:16, Zongyao Qu <zongyao.qu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Platform: Mac OSX 10.9 or 10.8 or 10.7
> FFmpeg: recent
> mplayer: tip of svn
>
> phenomenon:
> use such command ./mplayer -vc ffh264vda ..../content.mkv
> to play a H264 content.
> The memory usage will increase very fast,
> and exhaust the whole system in minutes.

A valgrind log or similar would help a lot.

> Analysis:
> I use binary search to find which commit cause this misbehavior.
>
> and I found the following commit is the root cause.
>
> AUTHOR reimar
> DATE      2013/8/14 5:45 AM
> SUBJECT Extract some setup code into a separate function.

100% sure? I can't see anything in it that could cause such a thing, but I admit some unintentional change can easily slip in.

> I didn't test other platform, and it is 100% reproducible on Mac OSX.

VDA is only available on OSX

> Please confirm.

And unfortunately I am not aware of any developer with OSX (well, I have a PPC MacMini but that is no help here), so I don't know if anyone can confirm it.