[MPlayer-dev-eng] va-api support

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu May 16 20:06:42 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:29:21AM -0400, compn wrote:
> On Thu, 16 May 2013 13:49:50 +0200, Dan Oscarsson wrote:
> >I can't remember what was said then.
> >
> >I looked at the patch then, and at the vaapi->vdpau plugin used in vlc,
> >and I would have preferred to create a libvdpau_vaapi.so that aadapted
> >vaapi to vdpau so we could use current vdpau vo. The most important
> >thing missing in vaapi is presentation queue handling, but that you can
> >implement with opengl (which I think is already used with vaaapi) and
> >some code.
> >
> >If I remember correctly the patch changed things related to the calling
> >of vo vdpau, so that may break some things.
>
> if theres a patch which doesnt mess with vdpau, would reimar merge it?

Mostly commenting from memory here.
I don't know if the vdpau changes would be an issue.
Well, we either need a maintainer or it must be simple enough that
I feel I can do it.
Without that I think the code would better off where it is, in a fork, but
at least with a maintainer...
If there are massive configure changes someone should ok them as well.
I mention this because I think the current code has its whole own
performance measuring framework (which I really, really dislike by
itself) which adds quite a few non-trivial things to configure.
And while this is no hinder for merging the code, I think it might be
worth pointing out that AMD seems to be moving towards VDPAU, which
would leave Intel the only one with any intention to use VAAPI,
which kind of makes it quite a bit less interesting.
And with VDPAU supported by MESA I am not convinced about even Intel
staying with VAAPI in the long term.

Reimar