[MPlayer-dev-eng] locale in GUI

Dan Oscarsson Dan.Oscarsson at tieto.com
Wed Mar 13 09:18:44 CET 2013

ons 2013-03-13 klockan 08:40 +0100 skrev Reimar Döffinger:
> On 13 Mar 2013, at 08:10, Dan Oscarsson <Dan.Oscarsson at tieto.com> wrote:
> > tis 2013-03-12 klockan 19:38 +0100 skrev Reimar Döffinger:
> >
> >> Second, not supporting anything other that UTF-8 should result in
> >> clear and reproducible behaviour, the current code is open to mysterious
> >> failures depending on some environment variables almost nobody knows
> >> about.
> >
> > We could split mplayer into "server" part and user part. Where server
> > part only uses C locale. That way the GUI could do what ever it wants
> > with locale and the server part will not be affected.
>
> Why did you quote just that part of my email? Whether setlocale is
> used or not does not affect the issues with file name encoding much.

Because I was thinking on other things related to locale (date format,
number format etc) that a GUI should also handle.

> Anyway that is already how all MPlayer GUIs are supposed to work, just
> our own isn't (yet?).

And as long as our own is not in a separate process we will have this
problem. So to really fix this we should remove the GUI code from
mplayer and create a separate GUI program.

  Dan