[MPlayer-dev-eng] Scaling in libvo

Kyle Mallory kyle.mallory at utah.edu
Wed Jun 5 22:20:30 CEST 2013

Hello devs,

I'm am writing a new libvo module that allows output to LED matricies
based on the WS2801 driver (such as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED2u5O7GyEY). My specific goals are to be
able to display "electric sheep" directly to the matrix, through a
Raspberry Pi.  I've done a bit of hacking on the old blinkenlights
module, and have 95% working driver.

However, it was recently revealed to me that there is no effective weans
to notify mplayer to scale the input video (to the vo module) to match
the output device.

I realize that I can implement my own scaling inside of my driver, but
it seems redundant particularly since mplayer is already using swscale
to convert to IMGFMT _BGR24 (for the LED display).

What would be the most efficient way to scale the frame to my size? I
know I can setup a swsContext and call the swscale library directly, but
I wonder if its possible to make callbacks into the core of mplayer to
tell it to scale before handing me the frame.

I'd prefer not to use -x and -y (and -zoom) if possible (that would
require patching both electricsheep and mplayer).

Thanks,

--Kyle