[MPlayer-dev-eng] Flickering video when resizing

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Wed Jan 23 14:30:12 CET 2013

Dan Oscarsson wrote on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 14:15:32 +0100:

> ons 2013-01-23 klockan 13:06 +0100 skrev Ingo Brückl:
>>
>> After quite some tests I've decided to go with setting a transparent
>> background pixmap which even works with a compositing manager and
>> transset-df for me ... well, slower then, of course.

> Is this when using the GUI?

Yes.

> I normally do not use the GUI. But when using vdpau and doing resizing I
> got flickering long ago.

The GUI's video window flickering was due to the window manager drawing a
background as soon as the size has changed. MPlayer itself (xv video output)
doesn't do so, and with the patch to come the GUI won't do either.

> I have fixed that in vdpau long ago (in my own patches) but that fix is not
> related to background colour, instead it is related to how redraw of video
> data is scaled to match resized size. But I can check later how things
> works in vdpau and how the X windows is set up there.

It's not a scaling issue in my case, but maybe I can learn something from
your patch.

Ingo