[MPlayer-dev-eng] Old arm hardware

Thomas Orgis thomas-forum at orgis.org
Thu Sep 27 02:23:07 CEST 2012

Am Tue, 25 Sep 2012 23:09:50 +0100
schrieb Jonathan Andrews <jon at jonshouse.co.uk>:

> I've written a front end with visuals, menus and button controls. At the
> moment its tested and running on a desktop PC linux.   This front i've
> also compiled and tested on the target, it runs OK, it drive the
> buttons, display etc.

OK, you got a bigger project here;-)

> My front end not only sits between the mp3 player and the display (a 128
> x 32 pixel VFD) it also needs to drive the audio DAC.

So you don't even need a player that can drive audio output? You need a
plain decoder only? Sounds a bit like taking a little step and
integrating a decoding library into your frontend (assuming it shall
all run on the same box in the end anyway) is best.
Especially since it drives the DAC already. No need for communicating
things.

> I can replace mplayer with any old mp3 player process assuming the
> following :
> 1) I can compile for arm target using old toolchain.
> 2) The player needs to produce 44.1Khz 16 bit stereo interleaved audio
> 3) I can communicate with the player process somehow, pause, change

I'm completing my shameless plug here and tell you that mpg123 fulfills
these criteria (C89, enforced sample rate, control interface via FIFO), but
it really is just an MPEG audio player, not reading anything else. When
you use libsndfile, libmpg123 and libvorbisfile, you got a
pretty wide selection of input formats and could also plug a
high-quality resampling lib in there, depending on your available CPU
time (mpg123 does quick-and-dirty internal resampling).

It really looks like gutting MPlayer of everything you do _not_ need
will not leave much remaining.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

PS: I could overdo my shameless plugging by recommending an audio file
playing/mixing daemon I coded, but it would probably also need some
modification to fit your needs.