[MPlayer-dev-eng] Remove internal mp3lib forked copy

Thomas Orgis thomas-forum at orgis.org
Thu Mar 22 09:43:14 CET 2012

Am Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:30:34 +0000 (UTC)
schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>:

> Please provide performance results for without SSE2 (and without SSE).

Just some heads-up on that: I am about to run some tests again,
comparing ffmp3float with ad_mpg123, on non-SSE machines. My lengthy
story http://mpg123.org/beating_mp3lib_in_mplayer/ contains strong
hints at ffmp3float only beating mpg123 on current SSE (2) platforms. I
half-forgot that after disregarding the comparisons due to buggy
behaviour of ffmp3float at that time.

The main story about the comparison seems to be that ffmpeg has a more
efficient approach at the Huffman decoding, combining that with kick-in
of SSE optimizations to be faster than mpg123 on some platforms. We are
working on bringing our Huffman to the same level, that should "fix"
the situation again;-)

Though, it is not confirmed yet if ffmpeg's Huffman coding is also
better on the older CPUs.

Alrighty then,

Thomas