[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] configure: print "recommended codecs"

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sun Dec 2 15:46:30 CET 2012

Le duodi 12 frimaire, an CCXXI, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> You misunderstood: whether mencoder is enabled or not should not be that relevant IMO.
> As an example: opencore amr will be essential for some because of the
> encoders, but most people will never need to encode amr and they are
> useless to have for the encoders.
> Maybe a "possibly useful for encoding" level might solve this though (of
> course when mencoder is disable it can be completely hidden, or we might
> even skip the configure tests).

I get your point. But remember that the list does not need to be 100%
accurate: this is intended as an help for users, making the list more
readable will make less likely they end up with a build that does not
satisfy them, but the users are still expected to make use of their
judgement while reading the list.

I suggest the following changes to my first proposal:

- Rename "useful" into something more neutral, maybe "normal" or "unsorted"
  or "optional" (the last one is good, but it is redundant with the title of
  the lists).

- The "important" category is for modules that are undoubtedly considered
  absolutely necessary by a significant number of users, and whose absence
  is very likely to be an error.

- The "minute" category (any better name?) is for modules that are
  completely useless under normal circumstances. The rationale would
  probably be: their features are completely covered by MPlayer's core
  features or a module in the "important" list.

- The "normal" category is for anything else. It is still shorter, and
  therefore more readable, than the current single list.

Regarding the encoders, most would probably go in the "normal" list (unless
we decide to make them a separate list), although I believe nowadays, x264
at least should go in the "important" list.

I believe we must not over-think it: even a small enhancement is still
better than nothing.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George