[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] configure: print "recommended codecs"

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Dec 2 01:06:57 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 12:55:45AM +0100, Alexander Strasser wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Nicolas George wrote:
> > Le primidi 11 frimaire, an CCXXI, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> > >      Audio output: $noaomodules
> > >      Video output: $novomodules
> > >
> > > +  Recommended codecs: ffmpeg(internal) libopus speex OpenJPEG
> > > +  Recommended video output: opengl
> > > +
> > >  'config.h' and 'config.mak' contain your configuration options.
> >
> > I do not think that adding to the fixed infodump that nobody reads will help
> > much. What about this: splitting the enabled / disabled lists into essential
> > + useful + minute, plus print a warning if an essential component is not
> > enabled?
>
>   I do think your patch is OK. Though you might not always need vo opengl
> but it is for sure the most useful and most widely supported vo if you
> think cross-platform and modern platform. So "recommended" should be fine.
>
>   Guess I partly agree with Nicolas that some of that information should
> be dropped. I particularly think it is *not* a good idea to print one list
> <enabled things> and then immediately following <disabled things>.

What would the alternative be?
Only printing one doesn't allow to check if you forgot to enable/disable
something, doing something like first printing all and then only the
enabled ones would be worse I think.
Though I guess at least for an MPlayer-only configuration so few
libraries actually make sense that the disabled list maybe is pointless.