[MPlayer-dev-eng] Reverted patch of time-based PTS locking

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Aug 26 17:21:35 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 09:19:24PM +0200, Pásztor Szilárd wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger:
> >That is rather misleading. CORRECT_PTS does _not_ enable PTS
> >correction,
> >quite the opposite it makes the code assume that the PTS values are
> >correct.
> >For that it also enables reordering of the PTS values, though that is
> >more a side-effect.
> >Another, more serious side effect is that it will disable parsing
> >of the
> >video stream, which makes me think that there is a good chance
> >this will
> >break playback completely for some files.
> >At least the FFmpeg demuxer seems to think that parsing is required.
>
> I don't see how this code could result in any problems. This
> CORRECT_PTS
> define is used for nothing else than returning either
> DEMUXER_CTRL_OK or
> not, which in turn is used exclusively for setting a default value for
> correct_pts. And this is exactly what I want.

And as I said, setting correct_pts results in the whole video parser
code (in video_read_frame function) being skipped, thus breaking any
file that the demuxer does not split correctly into packets.
(doesn't matter since it's only H.264 and we do not support it for H.264
currently, but that will also skip processing of userdata which contains
e.g. closed caption, so if it is possible to embed closed caption in
H.264 we'd have to choose between supporting that or keeping your change)