[MPlayer-dev-eng] Reverted patch of time-based PTS locking

Pásztor Szilárd don at tricon.hu
Fri Aug 17 00:17:19 CEST 2012

 Reimar Döffinger:
> I don't know what gave you that idea. The container does have PTS,
> but
> H264-ES has timestamps just as much as MPEG-2

 It has vop_time_increment in theory but I found no way in mplayer so
 far
 to get this info out of the stream. Do you maybe have a hint?
 The best solution would be to replace the bogus PTS in the container
 with
 values calculated from that time increment.

> The problem with NTSC exists as much for H.264 as for MPEG-2.
> Simply transcoding the DVD would result in a H.264 file that your
> original patch would have broken.

 I'm willing to do a patch that does not break anything.

> Actually with the default it should be at most 10% of the frame time,
> so
> around 4 ms.
> I wonder if something that takes c_total into account wouldn't detect
> and eliminate this "jerking back and forth with not real overall
> effect"
> better.

 It still seems to me that we misunderstand each other. Or my message
 just
 doesn't get through.
 I'm not talking about A-V sync. It doesn't have a problem worth working
 on.
 I'm talking about the fact that differing PTS values are improperly
 assigned
 to frames. And this results in a very jerky video, even without sound.