[MPlayer-dev-eng] Question for dev's: Does mplayer disable DPMS timeouts? "xset q" looks good, but timeouts never trigger

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Sep 7 15:38:16 CEST 2011

On 7 Sep 2011, at 12:47, Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:
> Le primidi 21 fructidor, an CCXIX, Erik Auerswald a écrit :
>> That sounds like a bug (a regression; at least an undocumented change in
>> behaviour). Current mplayer (as of this weekend) and older versions as long
>> as I can remember stop the screensaver and DPMS from blanking the
>> monitor while watching a movie.
>>
>> If some program calling mplayer to play some movies does wish to play a
>> movie that cannot be seen (because the monitor is turned off), that program
>> should specify the -nostop-xscreensaver option.
>
> I tend to agree: -stop-screensaver should be the default.
>
> Changing:
>
> int stop_xscreensaver = 0;
>
> to ... = 1 in libvo/x11_common.c should be enough.

I have no objections, I just didn't get around to it.

>> No, it introduces a regression. This would not be the first such change of
>> behaviour to the worse (-nosub is needed for DVDs now-a-days, which was
>> not needed back-in-the-day).
>
> People who need subtitles would think it is a change for the best.

It should be a similarly easy thing to change the default for that too.
Never considered it relevant enough to bother though.
Well, it might be a bit more involved, since I think it needs also a change to allow -sid -1 otherwise the current behaviour becomes completely unaccessible.