[MPlayer-dev-eng] compiling mplayer with gcc 4.6, broken audio decoding

Thomas Orgis thomas-forum at orgis.org
Thu Mar 31 09:10:15 CEST 2011

Am Thu, 31 Mar 2011 02:02:28 +0300
schrieb Ionuț Bîru <ionut at archlinux.ro>:

> i didn't manage to do this but i did found that if i pass --disable-sse
> to configure, the decoder is not affected. I don't know if is a bug in
> gcc, bug in the code or flags that mplayer uses.

Could you test if mpg123 (http://mpg123.org/current) has the same issue? Since mp3lib is a fork from past mpg123 code, this might lead to something. Although, there is an indication that this bug is specific to mp3lib / or the SSE part of which, both because mpg123 got rewritten SSE assembly and because https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=733194&aid=3249819&group_id=135704 doesn't note anything about broken sound, just a compiler warning.

Of course, there's always the mpg123 codec to use in MPlayer instead of mp3lib ... but I have to admit that it's not faster in all situations because of some loss in the binding to MPlayer, or general weirdness. Perhaps gcc 4.6 even improves on this.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.