[MPlayer-dev-eng] mp3-via-http seeking problems - source code pointers requested

Will Morton macavity at well.com
Fri Jun 3 18:05:44 CEST 2011

I am running mplayer inside my app by spawning it as a process in
slave mode and creating a simple http server on localhost which the
slave then calls back to. It's working but I'm having some problems
seeking; when I send the seek cmd via stdin, the slave complains on
stdout 'Stream not seekable!' and playback jumps unpredictably.

When I create a test harness that just serves a local mp3 file via
http and then point mplayer at it, I can reproduce the same problems -
but when I play back the same file directly, seeking works fine and I
can't make it produce an error.

So there appears to be a discrepancy between how mplayer is handling
http and local files, and I'd like to dive into the code and try to
investigate/fix, but I'm completely unfamiliar with the mplayer
source. If anyone could give me some pointers as to which source code
files to look in for seek slave command handling and for the interface
between the http/file layer and the mp3 decoding layer (or what the
layers are in between), I would be much obliged to you!

Cheers

Will