[MPlayer-dev-eng] dvd -vs- dvdnav

Steaphan Greene sgreene at cs.binghamton.edu
Wed Jul 13 18:31:05 CEST 2011

On 07/13/2011 07:45 AM, compn wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 21:03:08 -0400, Steaphan Greene wrote:
>> My eventual interest is in helping to complete blu-ray play/navigation
>> support.  But, of course, that is a long way off, so this seemed like a
>> better place to start.
>
> there are some bluray components that would be useful in mplayer, like
> libaacs support, and the list of known player/disc keys. in the future
> we'll have to agree on java support for the bluray menus too.

Unfortunately, I live in the U.S., where we apparently don't have the
right to watch movies we purchase.  Basically, I can't work on aacs,
BD+, css, or key databases without risking getting into trouble.

However, the java blu-ray menus are on my (long-rage) radar.

>> In the meantime, I thought the ability to play multiple DVD angles at
>> once might be neat (in fact, it is neat, and is possible via udp sync,
>> but a bit cumbersome, and currently incompatible with most navigation).
>
> multiple video streams at once is very difficult in mplayer. i think
> only the videomixer patch has done it so far, and that needs multiple
> instances: http://onebithq.com/root/mplayer/videomixer

This might be required for blu-ray 3D, depending on how ffmpeg decides
to decode the dual streams (maybe it will just end up decoding them to
one, side-by-side, stream).  So, this might be worth hacking at anyway.

--
Steaphan Greene <sgreene at cs.binghamton.edu>
Lecturer, Computer Science, Binghamton University