[MPlayer-dev-eng] dvd -vs- dvdnav

Steaphan Greene sgreene at cs.binghamton.edu
Wed Jul 13 18:24:20 CEST 2011

On 07/13/2011 08:16 AM, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 03:44:24AM -0400, Steaphan Greene wrote:
>> On 07/13/2011 03:18 AM, Erik Auerswald wrote:
>>> FWIW I really like the dvd:// method of playing a DVD, because I usually
>>> just want to watch the movie without working my way through menus. So
>>> from a user's perspective I'd prefer this to be retained.
>>
>> Unless I am missing something, simply playing a track can be done with
>> either quite well (eg. "dvd://3" and "dvdnav://3" basically act exactly
>> the same until you hit menus, or try to change angles, etc...).
>
> Thanks, I never tried this.
>
> IIRC dvdnav:// does not work with -cache, while dvd:// does (and I have a
> cache statement in my mplayer config file).

That seems to still be the case (though I haven't seen a problem with it
and caching, it still warns about it).  I have this in my config:

	[protocol.dvdnav]
	profile-desc="profile for dvdnav:// streams"
	mouse-movements=yes
	nocache=yes
	#input=conf=input-dvdnav.conf

...which allows me to have cache for everything else (in [default]).

That last commented-out line doesn't work (apparently, it won't reload
the input config based on a new profile).  This is one of the things I
want to improve.  I'd like to add standard skip/prev support which will
seamlessly handle chapter navigation as well as multiple files (like
xine does, for example).  That way, I can use my remote with mplayer
without needing a separate, special, config for dvds or bds (making the
above, commented-out, line unnecessary).

--
Steaphan Greene <sgreene at cs.binghamton.edu>
Lecturer, Computer Science, Binghamton University