[MPlayer-dev-eng] git-svn

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Sat Jan 22 21:26:45 CET 2011

Le tridi 3 pluviôse, an CCXIX, Clément Bœsch a écrit :
> * lo (vobsub-fix branch): [1]--[2]--[3]--[4]--[5]--[X]--[Y]--[Z]

What do you do if someone tells you there is a typo in X?

What I have been doing till now is to use a separate branch for each stage
of the patchset:

master   1 -- 2 -- 3
branch-x            \-- X1 -- X2 -------- X3
branch-y                        \-- Y1 -- Y2 >- Ym -- Y3

X1, Y1, Y2 are "private" commits, steps in the maturing of the patch but
unsuited to appear in the public history. When patches have been throughly
reviewed, I would checkout the head of the branch and "svn commit" it,
bypassing Git.

I wonder what is the pure Git way to do that: commit branch A into branch B
so that it appears not as a merge commit but as a single big commit.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George