[MPlayer-dev-eng] [OT] MPlayer Developer Needed for Project

Amanda Harkins amanda at leapingbrain.com
Fri Feb 11 02:30:29 CET 2011

Hello,

Sorry for the off-topic post, but we’re looking for an MPlayer developer we can hire to do a custom build.

We have a project where an app we built is controlling the command line version of MPlayer. It is working fine, but there are a few things we need to improve to make it a great user experience.

We want to fund development of these features, but we will open source the branch and share the custom build with anyone who might benefit from it.

So, we’re looking for an MPlayer-expert programmer to build us a custom version of MPlayer for Windows and Mac OS X, a version that will be mainly controlled from the command line from our app, but also has its own simple GUI.

Here are some of the features we need:

1. Auto-hide transport:  When the user’s mouse moves somewhere over the play window, a transport control appears with several buttons. (Just like Quicktime player, Jeroen’s player, etc.)

The buttons will be:
 - play/pause
 - jump backward/forward 10 seconds
 - fullscreen toggle
 - buttons a, b, c & d

Buttons a, b, c & d would simply send a value back through the command line with which button was clicked and our app will handle it from there.

After any button was clicked, the transport would disappear after a few seconds.

2. Custom window title:  A switch giving us the ability to set the window title when playing a movie, for example, something like:
mplayer -neato.mov -windowtitle “This is my neato movie”

3. Maintain window size and position:  Our app plays a number of movies, one after another. Of course, if the user moved the player window while movie 1 was playing, when movie 2 starts the window is back to the default size and location.

What we need is, if the user moves the MPlayer window, it reports back the new window rect to our app, so when we start the next movie starts playing, we can set the player window to the same size and location.

Is this something you could assist us with?  If so, can you provide us with a cost estimate and timeframe? Or, do you know of anyone you could refer us to?

Again, sorry for the off-topic post.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Amanda